Monday, January 12, 2009

Better than SEX!?


Yesterday I finally had the opportunity to ride my Christmas present for the first time. Simon gave me a "basic" mountain bike, although the plan was that I was just going to ride it on the roads around town. No going off-road for me, thanks very much; I'm a mostly-sedentary risk-averse woman who hasn't ridden a bicycle in 26 years, give or take a few hours. But since we live on a mountain, Simon thought that perhaps a mountain bike might be the right choice.
So yesterday we went to Hurkey Creek so that I could practice riding on the paved roads around the campground. I quickly realized that although you never forget how to ride a bicycle, your leg muscles sure do! After we rode up and down just a few little hills (for a grand total of about 15 minutes), my legs were aching like billy-oh. So Simon talked me into walking the bikes up a little trail called Coyote Run. He says he honestly just meant to walk, which was very patient of him.

However, after we walked up a little way, there was a short downhill bit that seemed pretty safe, so I hopped on my bike and followed Simon down (see photo). Sheer ecstasy! I couldn't get enough after that. Although the sun was about to go down and my legs were feeling like jelly, I felt like a kid again: "Please let me ride around the block two more times, Mom, and then I'll come in!"

Suddenly I understand my husband's obsession. What a high! And how sad that I have to be away from my beautiful bike for 4 days!

3 comments:

whitethoughts said...

Ooooh!!! That does look like fun! And its such a beautiful place to ride in, too!
I hope you are still able to walk? Or should I say - able to walk again, now that your legs are beginning to recover? But think how strong they'll be in a few months : )

kellishares said...

Actually, my legs didn't ache at all on Monday, so I guess I didn't push myself hard enough!

jenzai studio said...

This is so awesome! Does this meant that perhaps someday I can convince you to try snowboarding? Or perhaps skiing at the very least? I'll go biking with you!